Monday, October 31, 2011

The Power of Prayer

When I was 18, I had just graduated from high school. I was engaged to a super non active LDS dude. I didn't go to church. And I hated myself. I hated where I was. I was a few short months of going away to college and I wanted to be more involved in church there. I wanted to get married in the temple.


I knew that it was important to go to the temple. So, I did something I hadn't ever really done. I got down on my knees and prayed. I prayed for forgiveness. I prayed for guidance. I prayed to know that He loved me and that I wasn't alone.

That was when I felt arms wrap around me and hold me tight. I burned from head to toe with the love of God. I knew that I wasn't alone. That He loved me, knew who I was. And knew that I could change my life around.

That summer I read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover for the first time. I prayed to know if it was true and the word of God. I got that same burning feeling and a still small voice that said yes.

I prayed to know if Joseph Smith was really a prophet of God. And if he really saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in that grove. Again, with that burning feeling and a small yes.

I dear johned my boyfriend. I just couldn't stand to talk to him on the phone. I knew I would be weak, or say something I shouldn't. I thought a letter was the best way to handle that situation. I felt great when it was finally over. I prayed for him. To help him understand my reasons and to heal.

I prayed that I would eventually find a guy that would be worthy to take me to the temple some day and marry me. I prayed that I would get worthy to go to the temple and be able to get married there.

That summer, I started going to institute. That's religion classes for college students. Our stake (a stake is made up of a bunch of wards, or congregations, in a region) had just made an institute for the Lower Valley. So I didn't have to drive all the way up to Yakima to go to class. Just to my local church building. There, Brother and Sister Weaver were the teachers. I don't know if they know this, but they were an answer to my prayers. I learned so much that summer. They didn't judge me for my past. But helped me move forward and become the person I am today. They helped build my testimony of the Book of Mormon. 

That summer I did a lot of praying. I did a lot of soul searching. I grew a lot. But most of all, I learned that no matter what, I could turn to the Lord in prayer and He was there. That He was listening. And that He does answer prayers.

8 months later I went to the Temple for a Stake Temple Day hosted by the stake I was in at college. It was the first time I had gone to the Temple in years. 3 months later I took out my endowments. And a month later I was married and sealed for eternity to Steve. He was an answer to one of my first prayers. That there was someone out there that would love me for me. That wouldn't judge me for my past mistakes. That he was worthy to take me, his bride, to the temple and be sealed together.

Since then, I've prayed a lot. I'm not the best at it. In fact, I still need to do my morning prayers. It's harder to pray when you have kids. I can't seem to find a quiet moment. I have started praying in the shower. I used to do that in college. I just couldn't pray in the same room as my roommate, as she was getting ready for class. She wasn't LDS. I learned, that you really can pray anywhere. In fact, it was a shower prayer that I got this idea to start Mormon Mondays.

I don't know where I would be without the power of prayer. I have turned to Him for EVERYTHING! From the little things, to the big things. I hate to admit this, but I'm a bad weather pray-er. I pray when things are bad. I'm trying to pray all the time. In good times and bad.

I don't care what faith you are. I know, that God wants to hear from you. He is our Father. And just like any father, He wants to hear from His children. Just talk to Him. My best and most powerful prayers have been the ones where I just lay it out. I talk to Him like I would to my father. I know that, without a doubt, that prayers are listened to and answered. Sometimes, maybe not when we think they'll be answered, or how we want them to be. But they are. You just need to have faith that they will be. And that is a huge leap. But that's why it's called a leap of faith, right?



I'm a Mormon.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Myya said...

Amazing things can certainly come from prayer!

Vivian said...

Prayer is powerful. Prayer is a powerful gift. I loved reading this. Getting to know you a bit better. This post would go so well in my Cherishing Memories link party. You should come tomorrow and link up.

Camie Rae said...

That was perfect and beautiful! I love everything you just said and I am so so SO glad to know you!!