Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games Trilogy


The Hunger Games Trilogy is by Suzanne Collins. The books are The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and MockingJay.

I read these books awhile ago. Although, I can't remember the details of the books, I do remember my feelings on them.

The Hunger Games follows Katniss. She lives in a post WWIII world and it's run sort of like Communist Russia. But worse. Every year they hold an annul Hunger Game in which two kids (a boy and a girl) from the 12 districts that make up what used to the North America, to fight to the death. Sounds great, huh? She volunteers for this when her little sister's name is drawn. We follow Katniss through the Hunger Games, which she hates, rebelling against the state all the way.

I LOVED this book. It was so good. Appalling as it is to have 12 year olds and older, fighting to the death, the book is not all about death. Love, hope, and a chance to change the way things are, are all in the book. It's compelling and nail biting. It's the prefect book for the first of the Trilogy!

Catching Fire is the second book in the trilogy. It was good. Since Katniss and Peeta won the Hunger Games together, she has pissed off the state and even though she is doing all that she can to save face, things just don't go her way. She's starting to fight a war that she can't win on her own.

This book was great. I liked this book because we get to see all 12 districts. Being a historian, I love to see what the future looks like for North America. Collins did a great job depicting the land. By the end of the book, I was wondering how she was going to wrap things up. There just seemed so many things to clear up.

MockingJay is the third and final book in the trilogy. Katniss and family, along with most of the other districts, are now in the infamous district 13. The rebellion is in full swing, and Katniss is the "poster girl" for the war. But when she wants to be involved, and intends to kill President Snow, all sorts of bad things happen and it all goes wrong.

There was a lot of outcry on MockingJay. A lot of fans hated it. It doesn't have the "happily ever after" that other books *cough*Twilight*cough* has. It's real and dirty. What do I think? Well, I'm not a fan of killing off kids. And I was hoping that Gail wouldn't be a jerk. I'm not "happy" with the book, but I'm not mad at it either. It's a great book and a good read. But, if you are like me, it won't leave you feeling happy or like everything was resolved. It'll just have to do. And I think that' the feeling I have about this book.

That being said, this trilogy is a mind open experience. It's a great read! It got me thinking about how things could be. It's an adventure. You'll love the books, or you will hate them because of the last book. But you should read them anyway!

You can find The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and MockingJay on Amazon in paperback (The Hunger Games - $4.94), hardcover (Catching Fire - $9.89) (MockingJay - $7.98) and for Kindle (between $4 - $7) or at your local library!


Photobucket

No comments: