Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Talk to us Tuesday - I'm not a bad...

Seriously Shawn

Today, I'm linking up with the fabulous Shawn and IA for their Talk To Us Tuesday!

Ok, I'm just going to do this once. (Well, until next football season) And I know I'm going to get hated on. BRING IT!

But I can not stand BYU Football and FANS! Especially the ZOOBIES! (First two definitions work) Why, you might ask?

Time for a history lesson. Long, long, long ago, I wanted to go to BYU. I was rejected. So was Steve. I'm not bitter. It was just a "Hey, it's cheaper to go to BYU then it is to Western Washington. Let's apply there. Along with Weber and Utah State." Well, you all know we went to Utah State and are True Aggies (we made out under a full moon on top of the A on campus with at least 100 other people...not making out with 100 other people, just there were 100 other people there making out to become True Aggies. Got it?) Anyways, it is safe to say, that in past years, our football team has been a joke. But we're coming back, kicking some trash and taking names! And last year, we BEAT BYU!!! Ok, now I know we Aggies only think there is this BIG rivalry between the two schools. I know that most BYU people don't give a darn about USU, but when we are playing against each other, you would think different.

The point of this rant? Well, I HATE IT WHEN ZOOBIES AND OTHER DEVOTE MORMONS TROUT ON ABOUT THE LORDS SCHOOL AND REFERENCE SCRIPTURE ABOUT THE FOOTBALL TEAM! (Oh, yeah, that did need all caps!)

Take last weeks @$$ kicking the Utes gave BYU last week. The score 54-10 Utes. I don't know how many FB status were going on about this. Almost all of them going on about we are better then any Ute. We are the "chosen" school. And on and on. But the one that takes the cake is this:

D.S - UTAH-54 BYU-10
D&C 54:10- "And again, be patient in tribulation..."
Coincidence? Not at the Lord's University. :)

I kid you not! 

REALLY? SERIOUSLY??? You just used the score to a FOOTBALL game to reference a scripture????? You have got to be kidding me???? Oh and the part about the Lord's University, don't get me started!

I know that BYU is a private school sponsored by the Church. It's a special place. I get that. But you aren't all that special. You kill that when you act like a jack @$$ and treat others like crap. You kill it when you recruit a QB while he is STILL ON HIS MISSION! You kill it when you go down to Vegas to get a quickie marriage, do the deed, then get a divorce, just so you could do the deed and not fornicate. You kill it by trying to get around the Honor Code and pray you don't get caught. That is wrong on so many levels! You kill it when y'all are poor sports when you lose....and win!

And just because I didn't got to "the Lord's school" doesn't mean that I didn't get any less of any education; secular or spiritual. There are institutes of religion for a reason! And it doesn't make me any less of a good person! (Really, folks there are people out there that think and believe that!)  Let me just say this, the church is true, the people are not!

And I know that some of you will think, that we should ALL support BYU. Anything that gets people talking about our faith is a good thing. I say, no it's not. It's not the same thing as in Hollywood, any press is good press. Scandals, poor sportsmanship, and acting holier than thou, is not good. That is bad.

And I understand that most people think the Winning Team, Losing Team chant is bad.




But did you know that we do this chant? 





All I'm trying to say is that just because you are a BYU fan, or a BYU student doesn't make it right to use our FAITH to banger, bash and quote scripture about a game. It's a just a game that is being played by a bunch of LDS kids. That doesn't make the game or the fans, scripture worthy or even church worthy. They are two different things. Church and school. 


Here, I guess it's all the same, but it's not right. You don't see Gonzaga, a Catholic school, bringing in Bible verses when they lose or win. And they don't think they are better then other Catholics when they don't go to a church school.


And I am not a bad person for not wanting BYU to win every game. You have to earn my respect if you want me to cheer for you! And I'm sorry, but a bunch of zoobies and holier than thou, this is the Lord's team so we need to support it, spouting crap, using scriptures to reference a score to show that you are better than the team you just lost too, isn't going to get me route for BYU! When, and only, Christ comes down and plays some football or basketball, THEN I'll cheer for Him! But until then, unless there is a commandment from the God, I'll be cheering for my Aggies! 


And you better believe that I cheer along with the Losing team/Winning team chants. And I might even do the I Believe with the kiddos before a game.

(Note- I do know that not everyone from BYU acts this way, or feels this way. My MIL is a BYU alumni and she is the sweetest, most kind person I know. Plus, she doesn't follow the sports. Hmmm....)


K - I feel better now. Thanks for reading this rant. Please know that I don't feel this away about every BYU grad or student. My nephew is currently enrolled at BYU, and I couldn't be prouder of him! Because I know he is going to a great school and he'll earn a very good education. And I know that there are great people out there that are Cougar fans that we go back and forth with. All in good fun though. But never once have they used the crap that rubs me the wrong way in our ribbing. 


Brought to you by the letter A for Aggie! :D


Photobucket

14 comments:

Shawn said...

Well, tell us how you really feel.

This makes me happy that I'm more of an NFL girl than a big 10 girl, there;s just way too much drama fro me!

Thanks for linking up and yes, I do believe that my magic bar would get out marker!

Anonymous said...

I'm like that in some ways with our team. I mean, I support them but I will be the fist to say that we might not win a game b/c we're missing key pieces.

VandyJ said...

I'm from Wyoming. I could go whole pages about the rivalry between us and BYU. I won't because it's just college ball. In the big scheme of things it's just a game.

Impulsive Addict said...

I hate sour fans like that. I just enjoy watching a good game. I hate those sore losers and the sore fans who want to post about the "unfairness" of the game on their fb pages. Drives me insane. Can't we all just get along?

Thanks for linking up with us today!! =)

Robin said...

in state rivalry are the best but quotes from the bible for football. That's a bit much.

Amy said...

Wow. Holy harsh! I just recently got into college football, and think it is so much fun! I have no doubt that people posting the scripture was purely out of fun. I don't think any of it is intended to be taken so personally. Granted, there are a lot of people who go overboard. It is true. But to be perfectly honest, hating another team because of how they cheer, because they win a game is ridiculous. And I am talking about any and all teams. Notre Dame is also a religious school, and when BYU plays them, I love how "heated" things get. I think it is so much fun. And their school has used scripture as well, so... just take it with a grain of salt. Laugh at it. Enjoy it. The games are supposed to be fun anyway. That is why schools have teams. For enjoyment, not to stir anger and hatred among them.

At any rate, those are just my opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own. :) Are we still friends?

Mrs. M said...

Amen to that. I enjoy watching and cheering on teams as much as the next person but I also can't stand how far some people can take it!

Anonymous said...

Sing it, sista!! :o) Do you feel better now that you got all of that out?! :o)

I may get hated on for this, but I don't give a flip about college football. There, I said it. All the updates constantly on my FB news feed about who's kicking who's a** really bug me. I don't understand all these rivalries very well, but that's prob b/c I went to a college where everyone could beat our football team. :o)

I only know one person in real life who went to BYU. He's pretty awesome, but I've also never heard him talk about the football team. :o)

Myya said...

I loved this rant, LOVED IT!!! You Sara , crack me up. Poor sports just suck!

Rebecca said...

i;m not a sports fan at all

Chell said...

Totally agree... people that are poor sports STINK. Bringing scriptures into it... that's just strange.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I hate when people take it too far. I'm from Ohio and I love the rivalry we have with Michigan.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm going to be hated on for this...but I cannot stand sports.

(Don't throw stuff at me!)

Unless one of my kids are playing...or it's a boxing match, I'm totally uninterested.

Do you still love me? ;)

Amber said...

The only thing that I associate with BYU is Jimmer and well, I think you know my feelings on Jimmer.

Anyway, I don't like college football I prefer to watch NFL, so I don't know anything about who rivals who.

Anyway, this is a pretty intense post - I hope you feel better letting it all out!!