Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review: Dexter Series



The Dexter series is by Jeff Lindsay. There are currently 5 books, with a 6th book coming out October 18th. They are: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, Dexter in the Dark, Dexter by Design, and Dexter is Delicious. The 6th book is Double Dexter.


I first time I heard about Dexter, was the show Dexter (a Showtime show) from some friends. Since we didn't have Showtime at the time, and didn't want to buy the whole season on iTunnes, we googled the show and found it was a book! So, we started reading the books.


The first book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter is great! The first season of the show, Dexter, follows the book pretty closely. Only the ending is different. So, who is Dexter? Well, Dexter is a blood-splater analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. He also happens to be a serial killer. Now, before you get all upset, he is the "Batman" of Miami. Only if Batman used knives and killed his enemies instead of locking them up in the asylum, so they could escape. There is no escaping death. As a young boy, Dexter, saw the death of his mother and that affected him greatly. He was adopted by the police officer that found him, and Harry, set up rules, "Harry's code" for Dexter, so he could use his dark tendencies for good. Meaning, getting rid of the scum bags (most likely other serial killers) that get out of justice or who just haven't gotten caught yet.


Just like all sociopaths, he can not feel emotions. So, along with the "code", Harry taught him how to fake emotions and how to deal with society. Dexter just doesn't get it, so it sets him up for some pretty funny situations at work and in his personal life, with his girlfriend Rita.


In Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dexter is confronted with his past and finds out the truth of the birth of his "dark passenger". If I hadn't watched the first season of the show, I would have thought something else was going on. It was really great! It's a small book and it just sucks you in!


Dearly Devoted Dexter and the tv show, do not match. At all. In fact, the first book and season is the only time they follow each other. In the book, Dexter takes on a case of Danco, a crazy dude that likes to surgically room body parts, one at a time, while his victim is still alive. OUCH! Let the craziness begin, while Dexter is going after Danco, he himself is being followed by a co-worker, Sargent Doaks. I loved this book! And I love Sargent Doaks! He cracks me up.


Dexter in the Dark he comes across a case of co-eds being beheaded and burned. Something his dark passenger freaks out about and leaves him. Not knowing what is going on, Dexter starts to investigate this serial killer, without the help of his dark passenger. It wasn't my favorite book of the bunch. Really, it's just out there and crazy. The only good parts was of the wedding planning!


Dexter by Design Dexter just gets back from his honeymoon in Paris with Rita. Everything is going great. After finding a new serial killer that likes to display his "art" for all to see, Dexter is on the hunt for his new play thing. This book was much better then the last one. I found myself wondering what was going to happen and how was Dexter going to balance life as serial killer, dad, husband. Lindsay got his mojo back with this one!


Dexter is Delicious is just as good as the first book. Maybe because someone from his past comes back. Dexter becomes a daddy of his own little girl, Lily. That makes him even more protective of his children. So when he comes across the case of a missing teenager that leads him to a group would be vampires, or something worse, he wants to find the girl to save her and get the dude that has her! This book was just like the first book. Kept me guessing, twists and turns. It was just wonderful!


Ok, so obviously there is a warning that comes with these books. Deb, Dexter's adopted sister, has a cop mouth. Doaks, well his favorite phrase is mother ******. There is a ton of cussing. And of course, the death scenes are in detail. The ones Dexter finds, and the ones he does himself. These books are NOT for the light hearted or for people that have higher standards then I do. :D


The books are funny, although in a dark way, mysterious, and are just great crime novels. Try them out! The Dexter books can be found on Amazon for paperback between $7.99 and $9.55. And on Kindle from $9.99 to $11.99. Or at your local library! And don't forget, book 6, Double Dexter comes out October 18th! I know I can't wait!!


***Note*** We did not name our Dexter after the show or the books. They just brought to our attention a very cute name! And we happen to like them both!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

Your blog looks good! I'm impressed with anyone who can make their own buttons and header. Nice job!

Mrs. M said...

I have read the first 2 - need to get the rest. And the show starts this weekend - yay!!

AndreaLeigh said...

i love dexter! i had no idea it was based on the books. i'll have to check that out.

Impulsive Addict said...

I had no idea Dexter was a book series. I've never watched the show but I hear good things about it!!

amy said...

Oh my, this is great news! I had no idea Dexter was based off of a book series.

Dexter (the TV show) is one of my guilty pleasures.

PS. Deb has a potty mouth in the TV series, too! :)

Rebecca said...

between the books and the show a may have to check this out