It's 1:15 am and Steve and I are woken up by an ear splitting noise. After trying to figure out what it is, we get out of bed and start checking rooms. Nothing. Then I open the door. The noise is the building's fire alarm going off. Back in we go, get pj's on, wake up kids, call 911, wake up more kids, wake up parents (they are visiting for the weekend), wrap kids up in blankets (all but one, the baby, are sleeping in their underwear), everyone out the door, and out the building. Just as we get outside, the fire truck shows up.
We cross the street and as Steve was going to set our kids up under the eve of the club house, my dad goes to his car which is right in front of in and puts Jake in there. So we put all the kids in the backseat and put a sleeping bag on them. Grandma gets in the driver's side and Teage is up front with her wrapped up in his blanket.
We talk to a "neighbor" (he, I think, lives in another part of the building, not anywhere where we live, but in the L part of the building. The apartment building is sort of shaped like an L), and he says that the security guard told him that it was some jerk kid(s) setting a piece of paper on fire on one of the 3rd floors, right underneath a fire alarm, thus setting it off. They neighbor told us that if it was the same one, this kids set fire on the ground floor, burning a whole in the carpet. He was going to have a talk with that kids parents.
After about 5 minutes, we get the all clear and go back upstairs and inside. Now 3 of my 4 kids are wide awake, scared and not wanting to go back to bed. So we are watching Panyo with them. (Jake is in bed with Grammy right now)
I am so livid right now. I hope that if it is that kid, him and his family should be fined and evicted. It is totally uncalled for. It's asinine and immature and just stupid. My ears hurt. I'm sure my kids ears hurt. They are scared and tired and upset, just like I am. My poor mom, she doesn't do stairs well, and having to go up and down them, and the rain has hurt her knee as well, she is just having a hard night.
Needless to say, I'm thankful that we got out of the building, just in case. But now we have a FHE topic to talk about.
1 comment:
I agree! The really sad part of it all was the number of people that did NOT come out of the building. I think I saw 4 people other than us. I ended up with a bed partner that didn't want to lose contact with me. He almost pushed me out of bed...
Mom
Post a Comment