I really hope that Steve doesn't mind, but this is the conversation we had this morning on gmail chat. Ignore the mush stuff (yes we are like this all the time, yes we know we are whipped)
Steve: I love you and miss you
I am listening to the sunday afternoon session of the april conference
me: cool
i love you and miss you too
Steve: the first talk is about attacks on and the importance of families
then moving on to family history
I had a little spiritual insight last night
me: yeah?
Sent at 9:17 AM on Thursday
Steve: yeah, I was just thinking about bad parents, really bad parents, and how sad it is that these people have kids and the damage they do to them
then the spirit touched me and said how happy Heavenly Father is to send children to our family so they can be raised by good parents in the church
that good LDS families should be having nice big families so Heavenly Father can send his children to good homes
me: yes, yes they should!
Steve: :)
me: so are you saying you want more than 7?
Steve: no, no i am not
me: lol
Steve: I am just glad that Heavenly Father is happy to send his children to us
me: i guess that means we're not terrible parents then
Steve: at least better than some I am sure
me: lol
Sent at 9:21 AM on Thursday
Steve: my meeting should start at 9:30 and going for 3 to 4 hours
I really love you
me: i really love you too
i'm glad you had that insight last night.
Steve: yeah?
me: why were you thinking about bad parents?
Steve: Criminal Minds
me: ah
Steve: made me think of the awful story you told me about the mother and boyfriend that killed her son
made me sad
then the spirit comforted me
me: it makes me happy that when you get confirmation that what we are doing is a good thing
Steve: with the knowledge that every child we bring to our family can be spared from that kind of pain
me: good. just the pain of weird parents
Steve: lol
This makes me think of the counsel we got before we were married. Our very awesome Bishop Bowerman, he told us that when it comes to having children that delaying their coming is just as bad as having an abortion. When you feel like it's a good time to have a child, then do it! Don't say, well, I need to finish my education; or wait until you're career is more established; or wait until we have a house; or we need to pay off our debt. There are always more excuses why not to bring a child into this world. Look at us. We had Jake before either of us had a degree, a house, a job and a huge pile of debt. But the Lord will always provide away when it comes to having kids. I have no clue how we have managed to get by these years with adding to our family, but somehow it has. Looking back, and even now, I can see the hand of the Lord providing the way and leading us while we bring His children into this world and teach them about Him and His plan for us.
Now, I'm not saying that you should always do that. Prayer is always a big part when it comes to having a child. If you get the counsel from the Spirit to do something first, then that's what is right for you. But, if you get that feeling that now is the time to have a kid, and you ignore it, that wonderful spirit just might go to a really bad family.
I just felt like sharing this. It saddens me when LDS families think that one or two kids is enough. I know each person is different and they can only handle so much. But think of all the millions of good spirits waiting to come down here. If you could offer your home, to give them the knowledge and safety that and LDS family could bring, wouldn't you want to have a gaggle of kids too?
Again, I know, that every person is different and what's right for my family isn't right for yours. I know that. I guess when we watch shows like Criminal Minds (it was a bad one with a child in it last night) and hear of the stories of parents hurting their children, I want to hug my kids and have a gaggle more. I want to protect all those poor kiddos and give the knowledge of our Heavenly Father. And how much He loves them and wants them to be happy. For now, I'll settle for the four we have, and teach them that not only does their mommy and daddy love them so very much, but as well as their Heavenly Parents and elder brother Jesus Christ.
Hug your kids. If you see or know of a child that has terrible parents, let that child know that you love them and that Heavenly Father and Christ love them too. Share the gospel to everyone. If we can't have a gaggle of kids, then make sure that the people around you become Mormon. Why should we keep the happiness we know to ourselves? Everyone is a child of God and He loves them. Just as if we have a wayward child, we still love them, but are sad of the choices they make. He feels the same way. That is why He delights to send us or any other goodly family, His beloved children.
In the Family, A Proclamation to the World, it states that children have the RIGHT to be born into a goodly family with a mom and dad. That struck me hard. Like really hard. I encourage you to print out a copy of The Family, A Proclamation to the World. Read it. Take notes. Write on it. Study it. Heed the counsel, pray about it, pray about your family. Listen to what follows. Don't ask why or how or really? Just ask to provide the way for you. The blessing you can get for saying, Here I am, is really more than I can tell you. Really. We live a blesses life.
Steve: I love you and miss you
I am listening to the sunday afternoon session of the april conference
me: cool
i love you and miss you too
Steve: the first talk is about attacks on and the importance of families
then moving on to family history
I had a little spiritual insight last night
me: yeah?
Sent at 9:17 AM on Thursday
Steve: yeah, I was just thinking about bad parents, really bad parents, and how sad it is that these people have kids and the damage they do to them
then the spirit touched me and said how happy Heavenly Father is to send children to our family so they can be raised by good parents in the church
that good LDS families should be having nice big families so Heavenly Father can send his children to good homes
me: yes, yes they should!
Steve: :)
me: so are you saying you want more than 7?
Steve: no, no i am not
me: lol
Steve: I am just glad that Heavenly Father is happy to send his children to us
me: i guess that means we're not terrible parents then
Steve: at least better than some I am sure
me: lol
Sent at 9:21 AM on Thursday
Steve: my meeting should start at 9:30 and going for 3 to 4 hours
I really love you
me: i really love you too
i'm glad you had that insight last night.
Steve: yeah?
me: why were you thinking about bad parents?
Steve: Criminal Minds
me: ah
Steve: made me think of the awful story you told me about the mother and boyfriend that killed her son
made me sad
then the spirit comforted me
me: it makes me happy that when you get confirmation that what we are doing is a good thing
Steve: with the knowledge that every child we bring to our family can be spared from that kind of pain
me: good. just the pain of weird parents
Steve: lol
This makes me think of the counsel we got before we were married. Our very awesome Bishop Bowerman, he told us that when it comes to having children that delaying their coming is just as bad as having an abortion. When you feel like it's a good time to have a child, then do it! Don't say, well, I need to finish my education; or wait until you're career is more established; or wait until we have a house; or we need to pay off our debt. There are always more excuses why not to bring a child into this world. Look at us. We had Jake before either of us had a degree, a house, a job and a huge pile of debt. But the Lord will always provide away when it comes to having kids. I have no clue how we have managed to get by these years with adding to our family, but somehow it has. Looking back, and even now, I can see the hand of the Lord providing the way and leading us while we bring His children into this world and teach them about Him and His plan for us.
Now, I'm not saying that you should always do that. Prayer is always a big part when it comes to having a child. If you get the counsel from the Spirit to do something first, then that's what is right for you. But, if you get that feeling that now is the time to have a kid, and you ignore it, that wonderful spirit just might go to a really bad family.
I just felt like sharing this. It saddens me when LDS families think that one or two kids is enough. I know each person is different and they can only handle so much. But think of all the millions of good spirits waiting to come down here. If you could offer your home, to give them the knowledge and safety that and LDS family could bring, wouldn't you want to have a gaggle of kids too?
Again, I know, that every person is different and what's right for my family isn't right for yours. I know that. I guess when we watch shows like Criminal Minds (it was a bad one with a child in it last night) and hear of the stories of parents hurting their children, I want to hug my kids and have a gaggle more. I want to protect all those poor kiddos and give the knowledge of our Heavenly Father. And how much He loves them and wants them to be happy. For now, I'll settle for the four we have, and teach them that not only does their mommy and daddy love them so very much, but as well as their Heavenly Parents and elder brother Jesus Christ.
Hug your kids. If you see or know of a child that has terrible parents, let that child know that you love them and that Heavenly Father and Christ love them too. Share the gospel to everyone. If we can't have a gaggle of kids, then make sure that the people around you become Mormon. Why should we keep the happiness we know to ourselves? Everyone is a child of God and He loves them. Just as if we have a wayward child, we still love them, but are sad of the choices they make. He feels the same way. That is why He delights to send us or any other goodly family, His beloved children.
In the Family, A Proclamation to the World, it states that children have the RIGHT to be born into a goodly family with a mom and dad. That struck me hard. Like really hard. I encourage you to print out a copy of The Family, A Proclamation to the World. Read it. Take notes. Write on it. Study it. Heed the counsel, pray about it, pray about your family. Listen to what follows. Don't ask why or how or really? Just ask to provide the way for you. The blessing you can get for saying, Here I am, is really more than I can tell you. Really. We live a blesses life.
1 comment:
I think those are really great insights. There are so many really good LDS people that say "birth control" is evil and so many really good LDS people that say "birth control" isn't evil. I also totally think it depends on each family,their circumstances and what the Lord wants for that family. I agree that we should protect whatever children we have and be grateful that we were able to have such special ones be given to us instead of someone else who wouldn't be as good of parents but again, it totally depends on each person/family. Personally, we always have a prayer in our heart as to when the next child (among other things too) needs to come and if we get the confirmation, we act on it. There have been many times when we pray about it and get the answer "not yet". And then later realize why. Sometimes the other way around and act on the answer. As long as we are actively listening to the promptings and praying for what Heavenly Father wants/needs us to do, we will be doing what is right for us. Thanks for your thoughts on this though. I think it's great!
Welcome back by the way. I'm so glad things are going better for you! :)
Post a Comment