Saturday, May 30, 2009

Surprise Visitor Update

Well, since we found our visitor last Saturday, we called Housing and they set "traps" under our stove and fridge. We found out really it was poison, and they lied/didn't tell us really what they did. We're really upset, because what if Leo or one of the other kids found the poison and ate it? We would have no clue what's wrong with them. Needless to say, we're going to have a little talk with Housing about this.

Anyways, last night we saw that our trap was full, with another little guy running around our kitchen. We didn't catch him. Steve emptied said trap and reset it. Not even an hour later we heard it go off. Our speedy friend got suckered in by peanut butter! Empty, reset, find trap full again right before we went to bed. 3 mice in one day. Wow!

Ahh, but that was not the end. Sometime in the middle of the night TWO were enticed by the sweet smell of peanut butter and were caught in the trap at the same time. 5 mice in less than 12 hours! YIKES!!!

And yet, that is not the end either. While cleaning up the kitchen some, I picked up our trash bag we had set out of the can because it was full, but not full enough to take out (we have a really skinny can). We didn't want to waste trash space. I think it had been set out for maybe a day or so. After picking up all the trash that didn't make it into a the bag (sitting out in the open. Really, it's not that hard to take a step and throw trash away. Story of my life, anyways) I found a dead mouse under that bag.

Yup 6 mice in 24 hours. 7 total in one week. That's not good at all. I think housing needs to step up their game plan and do more than setting poison traps that they don't tell residents that that is what they did. I'm sure we're not the only ones in this building that are being plagued by these furry creatures. At least I hope not. I mean, we don't have a dirty house. We keep our kitchen fairly clean. So we a bag a trash sitting out for a day, and we have some dirty dishes that need to be washed, but seriously, I've seen worse.

At least it's not spiders. Our very first apartment had HUGE wolf spiders. We found like 5 in a 24 hour period. Not to mention the evil spirit that haunted our bedroom closet. Yeah, true story. Confirmed by two missionaries that lived close by and came over to bless/rid our bedroom of said spirit. One of which is or was going to USU. (Steve ran into him on campus and at Lowe's a couple of times) But that is another post for another day. Or at our last apartment that 3 inch bumble bees that would fly in from our heating vents.

Ok, back to mice. Nothing makes you feel like a bad house keeper than mice. Well, maybe, cockroaches, but when they show up, I'm outta here. I really hope we can get rid of them. Until we do, I don't think my parents will be down for a visit anytime soon. My mom is TERRIFIED by mice. But she has a good reason, evil step-sister and step-brothers putting them down her shirt as a kid. They aren't so evil now, but now Mom has a rodent phobia.

So now that Steve has three days off in a row, I think we're going to do some deep cleaning. Stupid housing and their stupid mice!

3 comments:

Tonee said...

Wow you have a good attitude about this! I would be dying and probably wouldn't be able to live there...that's how bad I hate and am terrified of mice! I am like your mom. I was tormented by a mice when I was younger. I brought one home from school or something and it got out and I tried forever to catch it and it was the most frustrating thing of my life! I don't think I ever caught it!

Anonymous said...

I have this saying....the only good mouse is a dead mouse! I could understand a mouse problem if you lived in the middle of an orchard or next to a field of weeds. I am also upset about the fact housing put down poison (I am a previous landlord of public housing & it used to be against the law to place poison in housing where children were present. A large liability to the landlord!) You have every right to complain. They need to come clean up the poison and hire a professional exterminator to come in and take care of the infestation. Seven mice in a week is 7 to many. Good luck. Mom

Rachel said...

Oh nasty!!!!!!!!! Are you serious!?!?!?!?! That is so awful! I bet you're freaking out! I hope you get rid of them all before they carry your kids away...eek!!