So that's that. We have a before and after picture (no blood or mangled thumb was shot). I'll post those later. Please, keep Zoe and her parents in your prayers. Zoe is so amazing and brave and awesome. We have a couple of friends that have almost lost the tip of their thumbs, and they didn't handle it so well, but their thumbs are just fine now. And it happened to them as grown men. So, kids are resilient. I know she'll be just fine.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Zoe's trip to the ER
So, it's about 10 minutes before 7, when Steve gets off work, the kids (Jake and Zoe) are jumping on the couch and hitting and kicking and screaming, so I send them to their room. Jake slams the door shut. Then I hear a Zoe crying. I thought he hit her again. But she comes out holding out her hand. So, she just pinched her finger. No biggie, right? WRONG. I couldn't see what the problem was at first, but I turned her hand over to find her left thumb mangled and hanging on by a small patch of skin. Yeah, I start freaking out. What do I do? I grab her thumb and put all the pressure on it as I could, run to the kitchen, do I run her hand under water? I grab my phone, get a clean cloth and wrap her thumb and hand in it then reapply the pressure. I'm still freaking out. Who do I call? 911? Steve? Who's going to watch the kids? Leo was sleeping and Jake was just sitting down on the floor being quiet. I call Steve, tell him Zoe's thumb is almost gone, we need to take her to the ER and he needs to come home ASAP. He didn't get all of that. Just Zoe, finger hurt, come home. And I'm in hysterics, so something must be very wrong. Then, I think, who do I call? 911 or someone to watch my kids? And who? I couldn't even figure out my phone to dial 911. So I rack my brain, and my phone keeps going to the L's. My visiting teacher (I just got new ones and she came up to me on Sunday and said she was my Visiting Teacher now) is in the L's so I call her, still freaking out, and Zoe crying really loud. But she gets the point is over her in a few minutes. I get some pants on Zoe (she was in her diaper and I was about to get them ready for bed when this happened) and pick her up and just hold her as tight as I could with her hand pressed in between us. She shows up, I tell her Steve's on her way, and that our home teacher was suppose to come at 8:15 and to please let him know what's happening. And what time Jake goes to bed. Jake was such a good boy. He said that he was sad and sorry for hurting Zoe. And told him, while crying, this is why we (Mom and Dad) don't want you to slam or play with the door. Anyways, Steve shows up, we rush to the ER (breaking a couple of laws on the way) and we get rushed right in. Zoe has calmed down by now is not crying. But she cries every time a doctor looks at her thumb. They said they can stitch it up and could probably do it without putting her under. She was watching Mulan. So they numb her thumb up, she didn't like that much, and they get her all put back together. She did amazingly! Zoe was so brave. She cried, but not like the hysterics I was doing earlier and wasn't thrashing around. Then she went to get her thumb x-rayed. She got three stickers that she showed everyone! They couldn't tell whether or not it was broken or not, so just to be safe, she's taking antibiotics. The doctor is pretty sure that she'll be ok. The only this is her nail. It might not ever come back, or have a ridge or rough spot, or might be just fine. After her x-ray, she was the same old Zoe. Just taking up a storm and watching tv. My brave little girl. When we got home, our home teacher came over and Steve and him gave her a healing blessing. Steve blessed her with comfort and a good nights sleep. And also, she is to have a good and fast recovery and her thumb will be just fine. That's good to know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Our brave little angel... So sorry this happened to her. As you can guess our prayers are with her. Boppie got all teared up when I told him about it. Extra hugs and kisses to Zoe.
Mom
Holy Cow! That sounds waaaay traumatic! I would be freaking out. I am freaking out just anticipating Geddy's first cold let alone a mangled thumb. Well, glad to hear that she made it!
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!! That is the worst thing ever!!! How awful! It was hanging by skin and not broken? How could that be?! So it was hanging by the bone then? I'm confused, I know I'm totally gorey, but I can't wait to see the pictures. Poor baby!!! How many stitches? That must have been so awful!!!!
I never saw any bone. So, it was just skin that was keeping the tip of her thumb on. I don't think that kids hand bones are fully formed at 2 1/2, so she just lost skin and a thumb nail. And the very tip of the thumb might be broken, but the x-ray wasn't very clear. All in all, there was a lot of flesh and blood. Something, I hope no parent ever sees.
whew! way to go mom - and Zoe! Let's hope that is the end of her track record.
Post a Comment