Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Who Knew

My dear old Dad loves golf. He watches ever PGA tournament that's on TV. He used to go golfing like every weekend. Not so much anymore because of old age and what happens to arms and backs when you get old. (Sorry Daddy, I still love you though!) When I married Steve, I thought I was pretty lucky. I married a man that didn't watch sports. And really didn't play much, other than soccer and frisbee golf. He got me sucked into frisbee golf even before we got married (he proposed to me on a frisbee golf course). So, then Steve figures out what he wants to be when he grows up, an accountant. Now, if you don't know this, let me explain. Accountants, weather Tax or Audit (yes there are more than just one type of accountant, and no he will not be doing tax), outside of their busy season (usually January to April for both sides) play golf. They play a lot of golf. When Steve joined BAP (Beta Alpha Psi) they have an annual golf tournament for the SOA (School of Accountancy) and Accounting Professionals. Let's just say that you could tell that that was the first time Steve had ever played a round of golf. So this summer, Steve, Adam and sometimes Ben (another accounting friend) will go hit a bucket of balls, or play 9 holes or something like that. I'm totally fine with that. I understand that in his career path, he is going to have to play golf at least once. And, so he doesn't get laughed at, he'll have to practice. So, to my surprise I was reading about a friend of mine that went golfing with her husband this past weekend. And I thought to myself, gee, that looks like fun. To be able to go play 4 hours with your hubby and friends, wouldn't that be awesome? So, I asked if I could join in on the "hitting a bucket of balls" with Steve and whoever else the next time they go. He said, "We would love for you to come! I would love for you to come!" Now, for the fun part. A long time ago in a far away land called Soap Lake, WA, I went golfing with my Dad and Uncle Mike. It was horrible. I have a bit of a temper, and when I couldn't hit the ball, I yelled and eventually threw the club down on the ground. I didn't ever want to play golf again. And, after watching countless hours of golf on tv (which by the way I think is a complete waste of time and a great weekend. It's so boring), I never thought that I would ever want to play golf again. So, yesterday, Adam wanted to go hit a bucket of balls, and Steve and I (and the kids) were invited. So we packed up the kids, and Adam's clubs (he's the only one of our friends that have clubs) and went to the driving range. What can I say? I loved it! I had so much fun. And, the best part, I was as good as Steve. And I was definitely better than his first time. What can I say, I'm a natural! So now I'm hooked. I just want to go and hit more balls and get better. I want my own set of clubs, and I want to get Steve his own set of clubs. And the funny thing is, the kids loved it too! Jake has a club just for himself, and he hit a couple balls. And Zoe really wanted to play too. My parents had gotten them plastic golf clubs, and my Dad showed Zoe how to hit a golf ball. She totally fell in love with it. So, she was crying the whole time she was in the stroller until we took her out, took Jake's real club (he got in the stroller) and hit a couple of balls. She was so excited! So, I think we might have found a family sport that we might all enjoy someday, when we get good!

No comments: