My father has two children from his first marriage. His daughter, my half-sister was baptized into the church in the mid 70's. She went to BYU for a year and during the time, she talked to our Dad and my Mom about the Church. That's when two Elders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints came knocking on their door.
My parents and two brothers were baptized in the late 1970's.
Sadly, by the time I was born in 1983, they were inactive and not going to church.
I grew up in a weird "Jack Mormon" home. My parents smoked and drank. But I wore modest clothing, and was always told I couldn't date until I was 16.
Then, January 6th, 1994, our lives changed. My eldest brother, Shell, died.
That's when I started asking questions about God and church. Is there a Heaven? Will I see Shell again? Why don't we go to church? What are we? Mormon? What are they???
When my mom really couldn't answer them to my liking, I went to a friend. She didn't help either. Then we moved the next year to a new city. And with that, I told my parents this:
"Mom, Dad. You were Mormons. I want to be a Mormon too. I'm going to get baptized and start going to church. You can't stop me. You can come with me, but I'm doing this."
What 12 year old tells their parents this?
We moved to Sunnyside a week after I turned 12. We went to church our first Sunday there. Within a few weeks we learned what we needed to do, and I started taking the discussions with the missionaries. I took all 8 discussions in a week, Monday-Friday. And was baptized that Saturday.
Elder Moyorga, Dad, Mom, Chris, Ty, Me, Ryan, Chase, Duane and Elder McGlone
I learned all that I could about the Church that I could. I didn't really have a strong witness or anything like that. I just KNEW that this is what I wanted. That this is what I was suppose to do. It felt right and good.
The best part, my parents started going back to church with me. My older brother, Duane, was already going back to church (he was married in the Temple to his wife in 1989) and was active in the church.
Since my baptism, I'll be honest, I wasn't always the good Mormon. I'm far from a Molly. I wavered in my testimony, I went inactive for a while. I did things I'm not proud of. But, we can change. And I have. But that's another post. =)


10 comments:
Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sorry about your brother. But I'm impressed that you knew what you wanted at such an early age!
Thank you so much for Sharing. That is an awesome Story. My husband is struggling right now cause he knows it is the right thing but everyone keeps telling him he will have a strong witness and it is the small things for him. I am so sharing in hopes that he will understand that 'through the small and simple things great things shall come to pass.'
Thank you for sharing this Sara - that was probably such a difficult time for you. Yet, you managed to bring your family together at a time they probably needed it the most!
thank you for sharing this story and may i ask why do you call some members of your church elder?
The pain of losing my brother is too painful to even think about. I'm sorry for your loss.
I can appreciate your story about your faith and how it came about. Thank you for sharing!
The fact that losing your brother brought you closer to God is really inspirational! So thank you for sharing with us. XO
I love hearing conversion stories. I love hearing the happiness and joy through the words. I am so sorry that it was brought about by such a painful experience, though. What an inspiration and example you are! Not only to your family, but to many many more. You are awesome, Sara!
Oh darling thank you so much for sharing your story. I LOVE learning about experiences like this. It's a blessing we have the gospel to know that we will see our loved ones again and be with them forever. You are a great lady my friend!
Oh Sara....I'm so sorry that you lost your brother.
But I am happy that joining the church helped you and your family!
Thanks for sharing!
I love conversion stories. You're awesome. Thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment