Saturday, May 23, 2009

Surprise Visitor

MOM - DO NOT READ THIS BLOG - UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CREEPED OUT!

Tonight, as I was getting Jake a glass of water to drink, something grey scurried in the sink. I squealed, thinking it was a very big, hairy spider. It was not. It was a very cute smokey grey mouse. Yup, that's right. Mouse. In my house. (hehehe that rhymed) I am not afraid of mice at all (my mom is, hence the warning to her) but I was just startled to see it. Of all the places that we have lived, I never thought in Aggie Village, we would have this type of visitor.

Anyways, it got scared of me and ran away, to behind our oven. I called maintenance to let them know about this problem, then realized they won't be around until Tuesday. I had to pick up Steve from work tonight, so while there we picked up a trap.

Got home, and sure enough, there was our little friend. Steve agreed that he was a cute guy. So he got the trap step up. Since then, we've gone into the kitchen three times, and all three times that mouse has been in our sink. I guess whatever is in our sink (muffin mix and angel food cake pan soaking before we scrub it out) smells better than the peanut butter in the trap.

This last time, he didn't run away. So, I quietly yelled for Steve to come into the kitchen. As a kid, they had rats and mice as pets, so I figured he was the best person to try and catch it. I said, let's just grab the tail. He said no, he didn't want me getting bitten and die or rabies. So, we got some plastic containers (the ones you get when you buy deli meat) and tried to trap our cute friend. After drowning him with water from the pans he was eating from, we got him caught in the sink under a plastic container.

Now what? Steve asked. So I looked around and found the pizza card broad that a frozen pizza comes on (Steve's dinner. Which he is eating all of it after working out.) and I slipped it under the plastic container. AH HA! I'm a genius!

After a few pictures for this blog, I took him across the parking lot to the Mail/Stadium area. Hoping that he makes new friends, doesn't come back, and maybe be a good dinner for some cat around here.

We're thinking that he lived in the attic and when they put in the insulation a few weeks ago, he made his way down to our level and made a home behind our oven/cabinets (Steve said there is a big gap between the wall and cabinets where the oven is, if that makes sense) and came out today for some yummy food. Needless to say, we're going to be cleaning our kitchen really well tomorrow and keeping it clean before Tuesday comes. I'm sure our friend has more friends and we'll see them soon enough.

Now for the pictures. He really was a cutie. Very small though. Enjoy! And if you're scared, like my mom, skip this part!

He's so cute!

Apparently he was steaming it up in there!

By the time I got him across the parking lot, there was a lot of pee on the card board. He ran away from really quickly, but first ran towards me like he was going to attack. Yikes! And don't worry, I threw everything away, then washed my hands really well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traps don't seem to work very well anymore, or so I'm told. Be sure to check out the food stuff on the table to make sure no visitor is there. Glad you caught it. What is it with you and Shell? He caught a rattlesnake and you caught a mouse! At least you are rid of it. I hope you don't get anymore visitors. If one of your brothers had put mice down your neck and put them in your pockets you'd be afraid of them too.
Once again - I'm proud of you.
I love you. Mom