Sunday, February 8, 2009

Things that I miss from Bellingham

I'm sitting here at home, after church, thinking back to good ol' B'ham. I miss it. A lot of good things happened there, and I guess just part of me wishes we could be back there. (and I know what a few of you are saying, we could have. But E&Y was the right choice for us, not Moss Adams).

So I miss, Whatcom Falls. Steve and I had our engagement pictures taken there by a friend of mine from high school. Here are a few pics I found on the web.


I love this bridge. It's always covered in leaves and it's always wet! After Steve and I got married, we would go for walks here. We only live a few blocks from Whatcom Falls. Yes, for all you Utahans, Whatcom Falls is in the middle of Bellingham. It's so cool there, and we, by no means, saw all of the park there.

I miss Cornwall Park. They have a frisbee golf course there. That's where I first learned how to play. And it's also where Steve proposed to me. Funny story about that. He wanted to take me to the big open field on campus where our ward would play Ultimate Frisbee. That's were we first met. Playing Ultimate Frisbee for FHE. But there was a bunch of guys there playing and I didn't want to just go and throw a frisbee around (I wasn't that good). So I said, lets go to Cornwall Park and play some frisbee golf, so he drove over there. We played a couple of holes, and then he wanted to stop and go for a walk. Ok, weird, but whatever. So we didn't get very far before he turns to me and starts talking about how much he loves me and wants to be with me forever. Then he gets down on his knee and asks me to marry him. I said yes, we start making out, and then a women comes by walking her dog! We play a couple more holes before we decide to get some food to celebrate. So, I miss Cornwall Park.

This is sort of like the trail Steve proposed to me. The golf course is big and has lots of trees. The park is a lot of fun. There is are toys for kids to play on, a big field where you can play Ultimate Frisbee or soccer.

I also miss Western. Funny, I hated it there towards the end of my year there. But I've grown to love it and miss it so much. The campus is beautiful and open. The school was good, but the actual running of the school (like Loans and Collections where I worked at) was terrible. But Utah State is definitely worse. But having a professor give me a bad grade because I was LDS, and having another professor hit on me and it got really bad, to the point of almost sexual harassment. But, oh well. I made good friends, and awesome co-workers there. Oh yeah, and my hubby!


This is a view of Lake Whatcom and Mt. Baker from campus. I think from the Student Center. Amazing, isn't it?

And this is Red Square. The building across is Miller Hall. I had a few classes there. I spent a lot of time walking across here. Interesting fact I learned in my Geology class, Red Square and Miller Hall are sinking. The dirt way down below is Peat, not good for building on. They'll have to fix this soon, but until then, it's keeps sinking. And you can tell, the water on one side of the fountain is higher than the other side.

Another thing I miss about Western, is the art. My favorite piece (to this day still makes me giggle) is the "man humping bear". I'm pretty sure that's not the name of it, but that's what it looks like. You be the judge.

LOL!!!!!!

And last but not least, I miss the institute! I lived on campus on The Ridgeway, aka the ridge, Omega. Just like it sounds, it was on a ridge and a really hard hike up hill. But the good thing about that. Just across the street and up another small hill, was the institute. It's a small building, but a beautiful view from the main classrooms up top. You can see Bellingham Bay and across the bay to the other side of Bellingham. We used to have Church there, and if you got bored durning Sacrament or Sunday School or RS, you could look at the window, and about 9 times out of 10, see deer just right outside the window. Much cooler if you were taking a temple prep class downstairs in the game room. Then up above the parking lot, was a small pit for a fire, picnic tables and logs to sit on. A good friend of mine, we would go up there and talk about life. It is the most beautiful place, the institute. I miss it there. I miss Brother Youngburg, and Brother and Sister Moss (the couple missionary there at the time). They did ballroom dancing for most of their married life, and taught a dancing class there at an evening institute class. Steve and I took it, but he wasn't very good.


The Institute. Not a very good picture, but the only one I could find on the web. This is taken from the parking lot looking to the main entrance. 

And this is my old dorm. It was co-ed. The boys were on the right side of the entrance, and the girls on the left. My room was on the third floor, almost looking over the entrance. Steve and I spent many of long moments here. Just hugging and talking about our date and what we wanted from our life and relationship. Ahh, good memories. 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

OHHH! GORGEOUS pics!!!