Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

My parents are celebrating their 44th Wedding Anniversary today! I think it's kind of cool that they got married on such a wonderful day in church history, plus it's Christ's birthday. What's even cooler, they were not members at the time they were married. I know, that after 44 years of marriage, they are still deeply in love. And I know there have been many ups and downs. Pictured here with their firstborn, Shell Scott Higley, only to lose him 29 years after this picture was taken. How hard it must have been for them to lose their firstborn son. But how wonderful it was to have two other child still here and still able to love and hold. A funny fact about my parents, they have been married 3 times...to each other. When they got married, on April 6th, 1964, my fathers divorce was not final. He didn't know that at the time. So, when they got to Fort Eustis in Virginia, the military told them they my parents were not legally married. So, my dad quickly got the divorced finalized, and they were married again in Virginia. Then, 31 years later, they were sealed for all time and eternity in the Seattle, Washington Temple. So there you have it, three times married. Here is a picture at my wedding, with Duane and his family, me, and our half-sister Brenda. Brenda was the one who sent the missionaries to us. She was baptized, then went to BYU. While there, she would have conversations with my father about the church. Brenda was inspired to tell local missionaries about her father and step-mother in Washington, and asked if somehow the missionaries there could contact my parents. And they did. In 1979 they were baptized along with my two brothers, Shell and Duane. Even though my parents fell away from the church shortly after I was born, they still taught me in the way of the Church. My parents have been great examples to me of how to get through the hard times. How to be there for one another, and how to love your children unconditionally.  There isn't a day I can't remember growing up, that my parents didn't tell me that they loved me and gave me a hug and a kiss. And they were so willing to go back to Church when I was 12 and had decided to be baptized in the True Church, with or without them. It's a good thing they came back to church! My parents are so wonderful. As young, married students, we aren't the most well off, and even though my parents don't have a ton of money, somehow, when we are in need, they are able to give us a little bit. Just enough to make needs met. I am so thankful that I have such kind and wonderful parents. And I hope that they have another wonderful year of wedded bliss! My parents with all of their grandchildren in August of 2006.






Dad and Mom 2004


1 comment:

Tonee said...

Wow, I didn't know that your parents had been married three times (including temple). How funny and cute it that. It was great to read your tribute to them. You are carrying their legacy of love to your family and beyond!