Thursday, February 7, 2008

Out of the hospital!!

After a 100+ hours in the hospital, I'm finally out! On Saturday, I started feeling ill. I would start to get the chills and shake then break out into a fever. I had pain on my right side that would come in waves, and of course contractions. That went on all day and most of the evening. That night I felt better, then at 4 on Sunday morning I started the shakes again and couldn't stop. We called Labor and Delivery, talked to a jerk of a doctor, and wasn't sure if I should go in. But I started to throw up water and had a fever over 100 degrees. We decided that we should go in. Good thing we did. One of the first things the nurse said to us, if you don't get this under control, you will have to have a c-section. They took a urine sample, blood test, vitals, everything. Put and IV in me and put ice packs on the back of my neck and under my arms. About 3 hours later the fever broke. After all the test, they knew I had some sort of nasty either bladder or kidney infection, but didn't know what. So they treated me with about 4 or 5 different antibiotics for a day, and still no improvement. More blood tests were done to rule out me being septic (we watch too many doctor shows to know that that can be really bad) and other things, like the flu. Finally, after 3 days in the hospital they found the cause of it all. I have a very bad kidney infection from the bacteria e-coli. Now before you panic, like I did, it's not that kind of e-coli. It's the same, but I guess we all have  e-coli naturally in our kidneys. And it can get out of control. And that's what mine did. Really bad. My doctor said that if I didn't come in when I did, if we had waited any longer, bad things would have happened. She didn't say what bad things, but just bad things. 
I haven't had a fever in over 24 hours, so that meant I got to come home. Me and baby are doing just fine. I'm still hospital ill and I need to get back into the habit of eating good food, but all in all I feel better. I have horse pills of antibiotics to take for ten days, but I should be fine. I just hope I get better before this baby comes. 
I just wanted to say thanks to all those that kept us in your thoughts and prayers, and that helped out our family. That meant a lot to us! My parents came down Tuesday to take over. I'm so thankful that they did. It made it easier on us to know that family was taking care of our kids and not strangers. 
So keep us in your thoughts and prayers a little bit longer. So I can get strong and healthy, and hopefully soon afterwards I'll have this baby!!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh Sara, that is so scary. I got a kidney infection when I was pregnant with Savanna and it was horrible. The problem was I was in Ukraine when it happened! Yikes. I hope you get better soon! Please keep me updated, stay healthy and let me know if you need anything!

Clayton and Camea said...

No fun! I'm glad you're home now.

Nate + Carlee said...

Oh no! It's sure a good thing that you went to the hospital! I hope you get better soon!